About the Role
A worthwhile job that gives work-life balance
“I had never thought of doing something like this before but now I am, I realise that it’s the best job that I have ever had”
What are your real priorities for your next job?
Is work-life balance really important to you and do you want to do something that is genuinely worthwhile? If this is what really matters to you, you may need to broaden your options and think about something you hadn’t previously considered. It might pay for you to take the time to read a slightly longer job advert, find out more about the job and actually see it being done 1st?
Genuine work-life balance
Think about this…What about a job where:
1. People from all kinds of backgrounds are successful and people of all ages including people shifting careers aged 40-65?
2. 80% of the staff work 3 or 4 days per week?
3. Where you can potentially work your hours at times between 9am to 7pm Monday to Friday and 10am to 3pm on Saturdays?
4. Where most staff vary their working hours week to week to fit in around time with family, friends, pets, medical appointments etc?
5. Where you can compress your hours over 2 weeks to get blocks of days off?
6. Where you generally work within half an hour of your home, you don’t have to travel in rush hour, travel time is built into your contract, and you get a travel allowance payment?
7. Where the company shuts down over Xmas and new year for at least a full week, so you can have a proper break?
8. Where work stops at the end of your shift, you can’t take your work home with you and if you have been working hard and have done well you can even finish a bit early?
9. Where training is comprehensive but done remotely by home study and followed up with excellent ongoing support & encouragement?
10. Where you don’t have a boss breathing down your neck, there aren’t lots of pointless meetings, no snide emails, and no passive-aggressive post-it notes in the office kitchen?
We think supporting a good work-life balance for our staff is business-critical. That is why we start our recruitment adverts talking about how our jobs can deliver that for you rather than boasting about how great we think we are as a company. We don’t offer free coffee, table football and trendy beanbags to trap you at the office for longer. Instead, we offer flexible local working and a culture that supports you maximising your life outside of work. That is why work-life balance will be a theme running through your recruitment & selection journey and how you are managed once you start with us.
What we do is worthwhile
What is also great is what we actually do and how we do it, who we work on behalf of and the impact that has. This is why this is also a very worthwhile job.
Start by watching this video – 10 things you didn’t know about charity lotteries
The role is fundraising as a 3rd party agent, employed by The Fundraising Partnership, representing The Kirkwood Hospice in Huddersfield. Your role will be to find more local people to support us with a small regular donation so that we can make a big difference to local people. You do this by going door-to-door talking to people at their homes, being friendly, explaining what The Kirkwood Hospice does and asking them to become a regular supporter of their local hospice.
The Kirkwood is an amazing charity
The Kirkwood movement supports life and legacy for anyone affected by any life-limiting illness, every step of the way. We help those in our care to live well and to make the most of every single day. We make the complex simple by focussing on what’s important. And we support families and loved ones to live on – and live well. We’re here for local people across our community whenever and wherever they need us, helping to improve their quality of life – in the ways that matter most to them. Through thick and thin, giant hugs and bottomless mugs, we support life for anyone affected by a life-limiting illness in Kirklees.
These videos are a good short introduction to the work of the Kirkwood
This is a good, printed introduction to the work of the Kirkwood Hospice
Click here to read The Kirkwood Impact report for 2020-21
Read about the history of the Kirkwood hospice here
Try before you buy, why not come and see someone doing the job 1st?
We invite all applicants to come and watch one of our team doing the job in practice before having to make a decision to apply. Why not come and meet us and see what the job is really like? It could be just the role that you have been looking for, even if this had not been on your radar previously.
Job requirements & details
You need to be reasonably mobile and physically fit and active, but we can train you in all other parts of the job very easily. You will also be ethical and take pride in doing a job the right way. You need interpersonal skills, to be a good listener and be able to communicate effectively, but you don’t need to be really persuasive or great at making speeches as it isn’t what people think of as a sales job at all.
Most of all you need to have real integrity and self-motivation. We employ good people, treat them well and we trust our people to work to high standards. We have an outstanding team of fundraisers who work to the highest standards and deliver the best quality results in our industry. It’s a privilege to join our team. All sorts of people from all sorts of backgrounds can be successful but you must have personal integrity and self-motivation.
It is a salaried role enhanced by commission with full-time and part-time options, travel costs payment included. You will need to have a car but will typically be working within 30 minutes of your home. Full-time OTE is between £30-40k pa. We provide full training which is delivered via a home study course and ongoing support and coaching in the field. We are an ethical employer and are committed to setting new standards and changing the face of face-to-face fundraising. That is why we are proud to already be an ISO 9001 accredited company.
What to do next
Fill the application form out below to find out more about what the job is like and arrange to talk with someone and then come out and meet one of our team at work and see what the job is really like.